Today you’ll learn the method to find the voltage across Zener diode using a variable DC Supply.
List of Contents
Components you need for the tutorial
- Zener diode
- Variable DC Power Supply
- 1 kΩ Resistor
- Alligator pins
- Connect the Zener diode, 1 kΩ resistor in series with the dc battery.
- Set the multimeter to the voltage measuring state.
- Connect the voltmeter probes in parallel to Zener diode.
- Increase the voltage from 0 in steps.
- The voltage across voltmeter also increase till the certain point.
- Finally, after some time the voltage across voltmeter become static. At this point, the voltmeter displays Zener voltage.
Circuit diagram and Video
The video below illustrates the method:
Things you should know and remember
- A Zener diode always operates in reverse bias. Means that negative terminal of Zener should be connected to the positive terminal of the battery, and the positive terminal of Zener should join the negative terminal of the battery.
- Color coding of 1 kΩ resistor. BROWN, BLACK, RED (Sorry in the video there is a little mistake in circuit diagram).